Trial Guide - Office 365 from Microsoft Online Services
This is a really good guide that covers the services and capabilities. Then it provides you detailed step-by-step instructions to get Office 365 initially configured. Download - http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=26123
Now once you have done this – there are probably things that you may want to dive deeper on. Here is some good information that will help you. I will try to update this with new stuff as a find it.
Microsoft Office 365 Deployment Guide for Enterprises
This is the Microsoft Office 365 Deployment Guide for the Multi-tenant Environment. This is an optional reference document that provides detailed information on how to do the real production deployment. Reviewing this will give you context before you make the decision to go to production. Download - http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=26509
Identity and Authentication
For a trial or pilot, the best approach is to use Cloud IDs as discussed in the Trial Guide. However one of the more advanced capabilities you may want to pilot Single Sign On with Active Directory Federation Services (ADFS). Here are some references:
- How to pilot single sign-on in a production user forest - http://community.office365.com/en-us/w/sso/357.aspx - A specific article written on how to pilot SSO with ADFS.
- Office 365 Single sign-on: Roadmap - http://onlinehelp.microsoft.com/en-us/office365-enterprises/hh125004.aspx - A set of steps set up ADFS with Office 365.
- Office 365 Deployment Guide - http://community.office365.com/modg/default.aspx - This was referenced above it has some specific sections on identity.
- ADFS Guidance - http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/adfs2(WS.10).aspx – Official ADFS document which includes planning, installation, configuration and management.
The following is some good information for testing out Exchange Online:
- User Email Help - http://help.outlook.com/en-us/140/cc325690.aspx - Covers ton of stuff such as Email, Calendar / Reminders, Contacts and Groups, Voice Mail, Email Set Up, Mobile Phones, and Options and Videos.
- Email Administration - http://help.outlook.com/en-us/140/ff657678.aspx - This covers tons of things such as configuration, user management, roles, permissions, security (SPAM, etc.), compliance (archive, retention, holds, audit, journals, rights management, etc.), unified messaging configuration, Exchange ActiveSync, PowerShell, mailbox migration, hybrid mail and some help videos.
- Exchange Online Administration - http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/exchange/hh127068.aspx - Here is another site that will help you with finding administration information for Exchange Online.
The following is some good information for testing out SharePoint Online:
- Help and How to - http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/sharepoint-help/sharepoint-online-for-office-365-for-enterprises-FX102052854.aspx - This is a great reference as it covers everything from how administrators should configure the service, planning, design and the basics that end-users need to know about on how to use SharePoint. You can also click here to be taken to an index list of all the stuff covered - http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/sharepoint-online-enterprise-help/
- SharePoint Online Developer Resource Center - http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/sharepoint/gg153540.aspx - There is an immense amount of content that is captured in here. There are developer overviews, developer guides, Office 365 Developer Training Kits (which you dive in has tons of references, videos, etc.), etc.
- Note – I highly recommend reading the Developer Guide - http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh147180.aspx because it will help you understand what can be developed in Office 365.
- SharePoint Online Administration Center - http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sharepoint/gg144571.aspx - Here is another site that will help get to information for administration of SharePoint Online.
The following is some good information for testing out Lync Online:
- Help and How to - http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/communicator-help/CL102114544.aspx - This guide provides several links on everything from how administer, troubleshoot and basic end-user instructions.
- Lync Online Administration Center - http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/lync/gg348843.aspx - Here is a site that organizes information associated to Lync Online administration.
- Deployment and Management of Office - http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/office/gg696034.aspx - This organizes numerous resources on managing Office Professional Plus for Office 365.
- Virtual labs - http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/office365#tab=1 - Some labs on various topics.
- Microsoft Office 365 Multi-tenant Service Descriptions - http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=13602 - There are numerous Office 365 Multi-tenant Service Descriptions available covering such topics as: Exchange Online Archiving, Exchange Online Enterprise Services, Lync Online Enterprise Services, SharePoint Online Services, Identity Services, etc. These documents can be used as supplementary information resources while doing a pilot.